Pages

December 3, 2011

Occupy Hueco

I could write some long, detailed, and untimely rambling post (or posts) about my two weeks in Hueco Tanks. But let's save some time; yours for reading and mine for typing.

First of many burritos this trip. Best carnitas I've had in CA in Jalos Taqueria off 580 in Tracy, CA
"Aye aye captain!"

Thanksgiving break was spent with Chris Bloch and Jen Atkin with special guest appearances by Joe Czerwinski and Adrianne Miller (and a cast of others as well). We decided to start our own occupy movement in Hueco Tanks State Park. We are the 1% who climb outside…and we are the 99% who get spanked on rock climbs like misbehaving children in the 1800's. For myself, it had been way to long away from Hueco Tanks and the place felt like a new area to me. My last trip I didn't do as much stuff as I felt I wanted to and wasn't as strong as I was this trip (although I still feel I need to be stronger for about 50% of the stuff I would like to climb there). Two weeks didn't feel like enough time to do half of what I wanted or see what I wanted to see.

Occupy Hueco: We are the 1%

Because no one really wants to read in great detail about how I flashed V9 or V5, here's a problem (V5 and up) run down of the trip (for myself). Chris Bloch gathered the video so he has the footage.

Animal Acts (V5)
Pink Moon (V5)
Walrus in a Blender (V5)
Winged Victory (V5)
Dragonfly (V5)
That Hi-Pro Glow (V6)
See Spot Run (V6) *Saw a video of Brandi Proffit doing this making it look easier than doing some scary, sketchy ass hand foot match because I had no clue what to do. She made it look casual, while I think I made it look like I was about to pitch off backwards in the footage.
Big Iron on His Hip (V7) *If people are climbing on the the problem before you, don't barge in and attack the wall. Be kind and ask the person if they mind you climbing on the problem with them. Offer to brush holds kids.
McBain (V8)
Beer Can Traverse (V9) *Finger friendly with possibly the highest dab factor of any climb I have ever climbed.
P.F.O.S. (V9) *Again, always ask to climb with the person who was there before you get on the climb and flash it. Brush the holds for them too so they can send right after you…kids.
Frogger (V9) *Possibly one of the coolest lines I flashed after Chris pieced me out on it fifth try.
10-10 (V10) *Feels V10 when you have a squawker in your ear, a bruised heel for the heel hooks, and a bruised foot from the day before on it.


"Execute the moves flawlessly and you will send." -James Conn
(10-10, V10)

Typical dinners this trip. That's right that was made on a Coleman stove people. Thanks Jen and Adrianne!
Adrianne Miller on The Fin (V4). 
Occupy Barnes & Noble

I ended up doing 22 new problems this trip, with all the warm ups and moderates I did. It was a fun trip and I learned a lot. Hopefully I can go back this season again with some friends and chip away at my new list (revisions were made) that is 44 problems now instead of 58 as my original list proposed.




"Access is a gift. Climbing is a gift. This place, is a gift."

Jen Atkin
"I want a litre a cola."

By the time I get to Arizona 
Sunset in Wilcox.
Home…sort of. 9 more hours from this sign. Sigh.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment