Pages

January 27, 2012

The weekend update with your host

This past weekend was the YCL (Youth Climbing League) competition at Bridges Rock Gym. The YCL was run by this woman Alison before Yo Basecamp proprietors, Andy and Lisa Puhvel, took over. I'm pretty stoked on that move because
  1. They make climbing FUN. Always. Why do you think I did 21 camps in 7 years with Yo Basecamp?
  2. The YCL isn't about winning. There are no national titles, no champions per say. It's really about getting kids introduced to comp climbing that's not serious or fast paced as USAC/ABS comps

It was also fun just to watch kids compete and have fun on the problems. It almost made me want to compete again. Possibly? We will see what unfolds. 

Explaining the rules to the kids
Kids climbing.
But for now, I'm more excited to climb outdoors and stay psyched on problems that have seeped into my consciousness in areas I have been too. Things in Hueco like…Javelina, Russian Woman, Full Service, Sunshine, Free Willie. Or Pugilist in the Valley. Even Joe's Valley (I was probably not in climbing shape when I went).

Hopefully my trip to Hawaii will bring about more climbing outdoors in the areas there. My friend and Volcanic Gym owner, Justin Ridgely, has been developing like a mad man over there. There is so much potential on Oahu it seems like. His instagram is always gets me excited about climbing over there. So stoked.

In other news, be on the look out for the newest addition to the viral bandwagon of the Shit Says videos that have been circulating the internet, "Shit Route Setters Say". Filmed on location at Bridges Rock Gym in El Cerrito, CA by Chris Bloch starring me. Shoes and chalk bag provided by Mad Rock Climbing.



Mad Rock: It's not just friction, it's science friction.

No comments:

Post a Comment