Pages

January 14, 2011

Rest days are good

Rest days don't have to be evil. You wont lose your strength or endurance for you project if you rest more than a couple days kids.

 Lately, I have been hearing people whine and moan about how they have to rest. When you're younger, I don't think the concept of resting is a big part of your climbing. You're full of energy and seemingly unable to get injured or sick.

Then you start to grow older. And your body (at least I know now mine does) requires multiple days off sometimes. NOT every time. You can climb a lot on and a little off. Two days on, one day off seems to work most of the time. Every once in a while I'll take a week off if I've been climbing a lot. Or if I get injured, sick or have a surgery.

I've found that if you keep busy on days where you aren't climbing, then they go by a lot quicker. I've made little tick lists of problems that I want to in areas I've been too and would like to go back. Now I know some of you might be saying, "NUMBER CHASER! LOSER! Tick list for what? You're 8a? CHUFFER!"

And I say no to those. Here are my reasons for why I do this (as if I have to list them out, but I will anyways because I want to):

  • It keeps me psyched for outside projects
  • I'm tied of going to an area I've been before and not remembering what I want to get on
  • If I miss something that I don't see in a guide book and do it when I'm actually there, it's a bonus problem (and who doesn't like a little bonus problems?)
The message here kids, is to quit gripping about taking rest days when you've gone 2 weeks on and can't understand why you don't feel stronger. I've done that too. Hindsight, I probably could have been more psyched to climb and train if I had rested. Now I'm starting to understand why rest days/weeks are essential to becoming better.

Thanks for reading!

"The message here is to take care of your knees kids…"  – Chris Bloch

No comments:

Post a Comment